Photo of the Week

 

Old Main Building:

The original campus of Meredith College, then known as The Baptist Female University. It was finished in time to open for the University’s first session in Fall 1899, and was located on the corner of Blount and Edenton streets. It was designed by A.S. Bauer, who also designed the Governor’s Mansion one block away.

Photo of the Week

Meredith’s first graduating class, in 1902, has become known as the Immortal Ten. At Commencement in 1902 nine B.A. degrees and one M.A. degree were awarded by what was then called The Baptist Female University. In addition, that day one diploma in music, two diplomas in art, one certificate in music and two certificates in art were given. The degree recipients were able to receive their degrees in three years rather than four because they had either come from other institutions or been privately taught before attending.

Photo of the Week – Happy Valentine’s Day!

This image, taken at the old Meredith College campus, shows students celebrating Valentine’s Day.

There are lots of flower deliveries making their way to Johnson Hall today! Happy Valentine’s Day from Meredith College!

Raleigh Blog Writes About Meredith’s Old Campus

A local Raleigh blog, Goodnight Raleigh, wrote a blog post titled “Raleigh’s Own Castle” about Meredith’s old campus in January 2009.  The blog post was recently discovered by a Meredith alumna.  She then posted the link to the website on the Meredith College Alumnae facebook page.  The Goodnight Raleigh blog has some wonderful images of the old campus buildings.  The post also has a great current-day shot of where the charming old buildings once sat. We hope that you all will enjoy reading the post!  Click here to read the post courtesy of Goodnight Raleigh.

Below you’ll find a couple of our own images of old campus courtesy of the Meredith College archives.  To read more about Meredith’s land history, please visit the Meredith College archives website by clicking here.

Photo of the Week!

Another great photograph by Lucy Sanders Hood, who studied art at Meredith around 1910. Note the architectural details of old Meredith’s Main Building.

Previous Older Entries

 Blog By WordPress
     Blog Design by Emily McKenzie '10
                         Copyright Meredith College Alumnae Office